Thursday, May 24, 2018

A MEMORIAL TO THOSE WHO HAVE DIED

This is a memorial to those who have died or lost their life in Acadia National Park.  The Park Service has told us they do not keep such statistics so we have had to do a lot of research to come up with the information we have.  Gaps between dates does not mean no one died or lost their life in the park that year, it only means we have yet to locate any deaths for those years.  We never realize just how precious life is until someone we love loses theirs.

 April 2016 - Timothy Philpott, age 50, remains found on Parkman Mountain in Acadia National Park.

June 2016 - Mark Simon, age 68, fell from a bluff between Sand Beach and Thunder Hole while attempting to get a photo of a sunset.

July 2016 - Nathan Savage, age 39, died after swimming across Echo Lake.

Sept. 2016 - Abdulrahman M. Alamer, age 21, died after crashing his motorcycle on the Cadillac Summit road.

June 2015 -  Christian Linwood Emigh-Doyle, age 23, died after falling from Duck Brook Bridge along the Paradise Hill Road.

June 2012 - John Baer, age 85, found dead along Schooner Head Trail - the death was not suspicious.

July 2012 -  Shirley Ladd, age 22, died after a fall on the Precipice.

July 2012 - 38 year old man committed  suicide atop Cadillac Mountain.

Jan.  2011 - Duncan Rosborough, 52, was found dead in the park on the Paradise Hill loop trail around 6:45 a.m. Sunday,  after he failed to show up after doing some sking.  It appears he died of nature causes.

Aug. 2009 - Clio Dahyun Axilrod, age 7, was swept off rocks by waves during Hurricane Bill and drown.

Aug.  2000 - Man falls to his death on the Beehive.

Oct. 2008 - Corey O'Brian, age 23, died in the park after a fall from his skate board.

June 2007 - Faith M. Wise, age 56, drown in the area of Schoodic Point.

Aug.  2005 - Stephen Chan, age 22, drown while swimming in Echo Lake.

March 2004 - Benjamin A. Ellis, 21, found dead on Great Hill, an apparent suicide.

April 2004 - Stephen Kennedy, age 63, died after crashing his bike into a closed gate on the Otter cliffs road.

2004 - Emil Lin, in his 20's, drown at Otter Cliffs after attempting to retrieve his shoe from the ocean.

2004 - Joanne Demartini, age 50, dies after falling from a cliff near Sand Beach.

Oct. 2000 - Leslee R. Larson, age 50, murdered after husband pushed her from Otter cliff to collect insurance money.

1999 -  Robert Croteau, age 51, and his wife Margaret, age 63, posed for a photo by the water at  Schoodic Point when a wave swept them out to sea - both drown.

1997 - Michael Domino, age 37, died after falling from an icy ledge on the Precipice.

1997 - Shon Lewis died at the Hulls Cove Visitors Center parking lot after losing control of his snowmobile and crashing into tree's.

Aug. 1993 - a 17 year old boy died after falling from a cliff along the ocean behind Blackwoods Campground.

Oct. 1993 - Douglas Rose, age 20, a student at college of the atlantic, drown after becoming trapped by rising tide in Anemone cave.

1989 - Bartholomew Keohane, age 50, a Prist, died after falling from  Mansell Mountain.

June 1977 - Leslie Spellman, age 27, murdered while on vacation in Acadia National Park, her body was discovered in the tranquil Asticou Azalea Gardens in Northeast Harbor - her murder has still not been solved.

Oct. 1977 - Fritz Millett, age 22, died from a fall on the Beehive.

June 1970 - Air Force Captain Robert McGaunn died after crashing his plane during bad weather into the side of Cedar swamp Mountain.

1969 - David McKinney, age 19, swept to sea by waves at Great Head while attempting to explore a cave.

Sept. 1963 -  Gerard D.F. Poisson, drowned by Thunder Hole.

1949 - Mrs. Millicent Quinn, age 39, swept off rocks by waves Sept. 1949 and drowned along Ocean Drive.

July 1939 - A young boy working with the C.C.C. Clarence D. Thurlow, died after falling from  a cliff on Beech Mountain.

Nov. 1938 - Park Ranger Karl Andrew Jacobson, while on boundary patrol in Acadia National Park, died after being shot by a  poacher.

Aug. 1934 - Miss Emily McDougall, age 25, was washed out to sea by waves and drowned by Thunder Hole.

Aug. 1932 - Joseph Meuse - age 12, died Aug. 1932 whilr playing at Bakers Island Lighthouse.

May 1931 - Bert H. Young, drown on Long Pond following a boating accident.

Sept. 1929 - Dennis Doonan, dynamite man for the Mccabe Company, was killed after a blasting accident while helping construct the Cadillac summit road.

Dec. 1909 - Adren L. Peach, age 9, fell through ice and drowned at Eagle Lake on Christmas Day wearing a pair of ice skates he recieved as a gift that morning.

Aug. 3, 1853 - Lucreatia K. Douglas, age 12, died after falling from a ledge near the Great Cave.  She may be the youngest person to have died on the Precipice.

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

KEBO MOUNTAIN TRAIL TO GORGE TRAIL

THE KEBO MOUNTAIN TO GORGE TRAIL

This really old trail can be found on older maps running from the Kebo Trail up along the Park Loop Road, making a turn away from the gorge parking area and running through the woods until it reaches the official Gorge Trail.  To locate the abandoned trail without a GPS, at the parking area for the gorge Trail by the bridge, face the woods with the road behind you and enter the woods at 11 o'clock (as if you were holding a watch, move in the direction of 11) and this will take you to the very visible trail within minutes.  The trail does not look like a trail, it is wide enough and worn enough to be a road and is so easy to follow. 
Just as a note, in the past I tried to follow the path to the left, it is easy to follow but only to a point when it stops.  I believe when the Park Loop Road was built a section of the path that would of connected to the kebo Trail was destroyed, as the trail was in place long before there was a Loop road.
So follow the trail right, or straight ahead, depending on what angle you arrive at it, and you don't have to go far before you see a tree marked by paint which turns to the left, this was an earlier version of the Gorge Trail and the trail for a long stretch is still in really good shape and fairly easy to follow.  At some point that trail does come to a dead end, the path being buried under rocks and brush to discourage hikers from trying to follow it.
So unless your into simply checking it out, keep following the wide trail, there will be a fallen tree here and there or tree branches poking out into the trail, and  in places the ground can be wet.  as you move along there are a few places where you get close to Kebo stream, we took a break a couple times to get photos of the brook.  Just before this trail joins the official gorge trail, the trail passes through a short section of thick woods and at the end just before the brook there is a high banking of dirt, placed there so hikers on the official trail won't see that older trail and wander down it.
The Gorge Trail has been rebuilt and relocated a number of times over the years by the Park Service and they can't seem to be able to make up their minds as to which side of Kebo Brook they want the trail to run along.  I believe the very first Gorge Trail ran along the right side of the brook at its start, than the park redid the trail, having it run from the parking area down to the brook, where it crossed the brook, than followed very close to the water for a ways before it crossed the brook again and ran down the left side of the brook.  I believe there was at least one more attempt of rerouteing the path before it finally ended up as it is today, follong the right side of the brook at its beginning.
If you look closely as your driving, walking or biking between the gorge Trail and the Kebo Trail, you can see sections of the old wide path through the tree's.










Saturday, May 19, 2018

THE ORIGINAL CADILLAC MT NORTH RIDGE TRAIL






We had located one section of this abandoned trail down a number of years ago but after a couple tries we finally located other sections of it. This was one of the original Cadillac North Ridge trails that began down by East St. and I believe it is most likely it was abandoned because it crossed private property. Because East Street is private property we did not go down to the street, but it appears the old trail followed the side of a tiny brook, the old trail crosses theofficial hiking trail, GPS on map, and continues to follow the edge of that tiny brook. As the old path gets closer to the One Way section of the Park Loop Road it is wider and smoother going. At the Loop road you cross the roadway at an angle to where you see a small gully going up into the woods. Just before the gully is a storm drain. From there the path is almost a road and very easy to follow until you come to a sharp curve, shortly after the curve the trail just seems to end. We did scout out the area and located two rock piles and that was it. We need to search one more area further up, but what we have documented so far might be the best we can do. On old maps this trail ran upward and connected to the official trail used today




ABANDONED TRAILS - CADILLAC MOUNTAIN NORTH RIDGE TRAIL - Acadia National Park

























Tuesday, May 15, 2018

BARBERRY LEDGE

This estate burned in the fire of 1947 and was named Barberry Ledge.  It set up pretty high on a hill with a decent ledge not far away, which most likely in its day gave its owners fantastic views of the Cleftstone Road.  The estate was owned by Christine B. Rowell.

This estate was also located along the Cleftstone Road, further down the road from the Archbold Estate.  On the same side of the road as the entrance to the estate, look for telephone pole number 7, the old driveway is close to that pole with a large boulder in it just inside the woods.  The boulder and driveway can be seen from the roadway.  Just like with the Archbold estate, you need to park on the side of route 233 - the Eagle Lake Road or along the side of West Street Extention near that end of the Cleftstone road.
Locating this huge foundation with fireplace was a complete surprise, we had gone into the location hoping to find remains of a trail that passed from Cleftstone road to Great Hill.  We did not find the path,

The foundations are located in the woods off of Cleftstone Road, GPS N 44 23 066 and W 068 13 599


















THE ANNE M. ARCHBOLD ESTATE

Archbold Cottage, located on the West side of Cleftstone road, burned in the fire of 1947.  The land the cottage was built on was once owned by Charles T. How.  The following appeared in the Bar Harbor record, a local newspaper, on March 30, 1904, and in part read;

An Italian Villa

An unique innovation to Bar Harbor's archltecture.

One of the most unique houses ever built in the village, and one that is perhaps, for its size, the most expensive, is that now in process of construction for Miss Ann Archbold.  Miss Archbold is a native of Tarrytown, N.Y., and has passed several seasons at Seal Harbor.  She is an artist of no little talent and has spent many years of travel and study in Europe.  The idea for her cottage was conceived from the beautiful castles in Italy, and in Paris a tiny model, perfect in every detail, was made for the proposed villa.
It was some time before a suitable location could be found, and Bar Harbor and surrounding resorts were thoroughly inspected.  Finally Miss Archbold purchased some four acres on the Cleftstone road and the house is being erected on a slight eminence which gives a beautiful view.  Its appearance from the road is picturesque in the extreme, and when cmpleted, surrounded by lawns and gardens, it will form a quaint and harmonious picture.
From the South side there is an entrance to the reception room, approached by winding steps and from the court is another entrance.
The house is somewhat in the form of a hollow square.  In the basement is a large kitchen extending the entire length of the main body of the house.  In addition to this, there is a pantry, the servants dining room, four servants bed rooms, besides a number of closets.
On the first floor the main body of the house is taken up by the living and dining rooms, whose united length is about 70 feet.  They are rough plastered, and the cypress beams overhead are finished in the rough.  In the west wing are two small bed rooms with bath, and in the east a hall with a fireplace.
The dining room is several steps lower than the living room and the bulters pantry, with dumb waiter shaft opens from it.  One of the accessories of the old Italian villa is a "vanishing table" which disappears directly the viands are eaten, and if practicable, the dining room of Miss Archbold's house will be equipped with one of thses mysterious agents.
On the second floor in the east wing a small chamber is directly above the hall.  Miss Archbolds chamber is a large pleasant room in the east wing.  From it, a spiral iron staircase leads to the tower above, where a beautiful panorama of mountain, forest, and ocean spreads out before the eye.  Opening from this room is a large bath room and tiled tub set deep after the old Roman fashion and reached by several steps.  In the west wing at the extreme end is a small bed room and bath,  Opening from this is the studio, a large airy room.
The center of the second floor is occupied by the loggia, which will be a delightful place when completed.  The floor is to be tiled and the sides of glass, which will open readily so that a cool breeze can sweep across.  Opening from the loggia is a long narrow balcony which later will be hung with trailing vines and blossoms.  At the back a cement stairway leads from the loggia to the terrace below.  The terrace will be one of the most interesting features of the house.  It fills the "hollow" of the square.  A narrow open walk the height of the second story rooms surrounds it and is upheld by twelve arches of stucco  work, ornamented with carved wheels and surrounded with handsome panels of carved wood.  In the center of the terrace a fountain will play and the entire enclosure will be covered with grass.  Beyond the terrace a large plot will be devoted to the garden which will be in keeping with the other appointments.
On the southern side of the east wing is the conservatory, which will be a unique feature of the house.  The sides, of course, will be of glass and the roof will be upheld by carved figures.

Directions;  From Eagle Lake Road - route 233, look for a pull over area where you can park your car directly across from the Cleftstone road.  An old abandoned dirt road runs up into the woods there and you don't have to walk far.  Cross the Eagle Lake Road and walk down the Cleftstone Road a short waysI believe we entered the woods across from the second house or a little past it.  It is not too far in the woods on a hillside.  The GPS for the foundations is N 44 22 947 and W 068 13 630

Directly across the road from the entrance to the estate is a telephone pole with the number 3 on it.  The remains of the estate sets on a  knoll further back in the woods on almost a straight line from the pole.



















Monday, January 29, 2018

KEBO MOUNTAIN TRAIL

Years ago there was a section of the Kebo Mountain trail located in the woods between the base of Kebo Mountain and the Golf Course.  I have hiked along that section of trail many times over the years, it was not a very long section, which began in the woods directly across from where the kebo Mountain Trail begins today.  Across the roadway is a set of stone steps with a new trail head sign.  At the base of those stone steps is a new trail the Park Service built a few years back.  The new trail runs to the left and to the right of those stone steps.  The abandoned section of the Kebo Trail also ran from those steps, heading downward to the brook, where it crosses the brook and continues to where it meets up with the Stratheden path by the Building of the arts.  The Stratheden path continued across the Kebo Golf Course to the area of the Building of the Arts. 
Sadly, this is the first case I know of where the Park Service has taken action to completely erase a section of an abandoned trail.  The thinking behind taking such action must of been when they built the new trail through there, they clearly must of known with the old abandoned section of the Kebo trail being so visible, they had to do something to stop hikers from venturing down the abandoned section of trail and walking out onto the Golf course, how to deal with the problem - erase any trace of that section of the abandoned Kebo Mountain Trail.    This may of not been their thinking, but it is the only one that makes sense.
Like I said, I knew  where the now lost section of the Kebo Trail was because I had hiked it many times down to the golf course. 
What came as a total surprise to me was that a section of the abandoned Stratheden path, the section between the official trail today and the abandoned Kebo Mountain trail, began directly across the road  from the start of the Stratheden path and ran across the golf course in almost a straight line to where the large stone is located  iengraved Stratheden path.









Monday, January 22, 2018

IN SEARCH OF THE OLD TOBOGGAN RUNS

  The following appeared in the Bat Harbor Times, Aug. 23, 1922 and helps pin down the location of one of the two toboggan runs that were built each winter as part of the areas winter sports activities.  This toboggan run or slide was built of boards and carried sledders  from an area by the Boyd Road  down hill  and out onto frozen Eagle lake.  A second toboggan run was built each winter and ran down the side of Kebo Mountain, carrying sledders out onto the grounds of Kebo Golf Course.  I am still trying to research and nail down the location of that run, but I suspect it ran right down the current Kebo Mountain hiking trail.

PATH COMMITTEE MAKES ITS REPORT
Does Fine Work on Paths and Trails
Bar harbor times - Aug. 23, 1922

Committee Hindered in Work by Destruction of Signs Indicating Trails

Editors Note;  In presenting the annual report for 1922, the Bar Harbor Path Committee calls attention to the fact that each year a number of signs are destroyed, thus making it difficult and often dangerous for visitors to enjoy our splendid system of trails.  This is a matter of grave importance and any person found destroying these signs should be dealt with severely.  The report this year shows the usual amount of unselfish work on the part of the committee members and will be read with interest by all who enjoy the opportunities made possible by the work of this committee.  New members of the committee this year are;  Barrington Moore, George S. Robbins, and Arthur C. Train.  The report follows;
  The usual improvement and repair of the Bar Harbor Trails was commenced by the committee on April 17th last and has since continued in order to put them in the best possible condition for the walking season and the enjoyment derived from the healthy and beneficial pastime of mountain climbing as the paths now extend throughout the Bar Harbor District in almost every direction.
  The present active membership of the Path Committee consists of George B. Dorr, Dr J. Madison Taylot, Mrs. John B. Markoe, Miss Alice Miles Carpenter, Abdrew Liscomb, Barrington Moore, George S. Robbins, and Arthur C. Train;  Frederic Delano Weekes being Chairman and Andrew Liscomb Superintendent, a Positior successfully filled by him for some years.  Fortunately the winter season was not a severe one and the trails were found to be in a fairly satisfactory condition and not to any extent encumbered with many fallen trees or damaged by washouts that often cause considerable trouble.  It is, however, a subject of great regret that such a number of signs are found missing every year and to replace them cause much extra expense to the Committee.  These appear to have been pulled down or shot away for when a sign absolutely disappears there can be no other explanation except that it has been either destroyed or carried off.  Paths must be properly marked or their use is not only  difficult but even a source of danger and the maintenance of the signs is therefore of great importance to the community.  Their wanton destruction has already been given serious consideration by the Selectmen of the town of bar Harbor and to destroy or remove them has been made a misdemeanor.  the Path Committee earnestly hopes that this thoughtlessness and entire disregard so far as the public are concerned in the comfort and use of the trails upon which so much money has been expended for the benefit of the Bar Harbor residents, will not continue, but if so, that the culprits may be apprehended and meet with just and proper punishment.
  This season's work thus far by the Committee in the care of the trails and up to August 1st may be stated briefly as follows;  During April Kebo Mountain, Harden Road, and Farm, Toll House, Bracken, Green Mountain Gorge, and the North Ridge trails og Green were entirely cleared of brush,  25 pointers being replaced and 10 cairns erected.  In May the trails on Great Hill and the Duck Brook, Breakneck, Half Moon, Witch Hole, Mcfarlands, Curran, and Aunt Betty's Pond paths were cleared of brush, also the trails around the foot of Eagle Lake down to Bubble Pond and along its West side to the Boyd Road steps being also built over the toboggan slide at the lake.  The committee found that the beaver were causing interference there as they had built a dam across Bubble Pond Brook and the trail near it in consequence was submerged.  The Committee will however endeavor to remedy the trouble in such manner as may be suggested and without disturbing the engineering work of this interesting colony.
  Further work was carried on in June and the Southwest Valley train (terrain?) skirting the base of Sargent Mountain was cleared of brush and fallen trees removed.  The Fawn Pond path leading to the beautiful tract of land donated by the late Charles T. How, was also cleared, fallen tree's removed and pointers restored.  The Southwest Trail of Green Mountain to the Boyd Road was cleared and 10 cairns erected, and the East trail on Green a recent addition to the Bar Harbor Path system and which opens up many beautiful views of the Otter Creek region leading to Canon Brook path, was cleared of brush.
  In the Northern District a large tree was cut out of the Witch Hole Path and missing pointers restored.  Three new signs were also put on the Duck Brook Path and one on the South Ridge of Green near the old well.  Aunt Betty's Pond Path, South West Valley trail and Fawn Pond, Bracken, Kebo, Harden Farm and Half Moon Pond paths were mowed out, two large tree's removed and eight new signs put up on the Half Moon Pond, Eagle Lake and Toll House Paths.
Additional work was performed in July and the trails around the Witch Hole and also at Great Hill mowed out.  On Cadillac Cliff path ten pointers were replaced, two large tree's removed and six cairns erected.  The Yellow path running to the White one was cleared of fallen branches, brush removed and fallen trees were cut away on the Blue trail to the White one.  The Red path was also cleared of brush and branches removed.  The Toll House Path and the Canon Brook trail were also cleared and mowed, the bridge over the brook being replaced.  Mcfarlands paths were mowed out and the South West Valley trail also being in addition cleared of brush together with the Carran and Jordan Pond trail from the South West Valley path.
  In order to maintain and carry on the work that has been undertaken as well as to complete other necessary repairs and improvements to the path system nearly $600 dollars has been already subscribed by certain Bar Harbor residents who always were generous and zealous supporters of this particular branch of the Bar Harbor Village Improvement Association's activities, and contributions for this purpose were received from Miss Mary P. Coles, Barrington Moore, Mrs Max Farrand, Dr. Robert Abbe, Miss Agnes Miles Carpenter, Courtland Palmer, Mrs John S. Kennedy, Mrs John Markoe, Frederic W. Vanderbilt, George S. Robbins, Hon. George L. Ingraham, Philiph Livingston, Mrs Herbert L. Satterlee, Mrs Ernest Schelling, Thomas D. Witt Cuyler, Arthur C. Train, Mrs John Innes Kane, F. Maurice Newton, Dr, and Mrs Joseph Blake and Frederic Delanc Weekes.
  The further work undertaken by the Committee from August 1st will be included in its report at the annual meeting of the association on Sept. 14th.
  Any additional contributions for the purpose of improving the trails will greatly assist the Committee as to maintain them requires a considerable outlay their present extent in the Bar Harbor District alone being in excess of 125 miles.

That was the entire newspaper article and it highlighted several things.  First, notice all the many names of trails mentioned that were later abandoned by the Park Service.  The Boyd Road is also mentioned as running between Bubble Pond and Eagle lake.  The article also pins down the location of the toboggan run, placing it close to the Bubble pond Brook - the article states that the stone steps that led up to the Boyd road were built over an area of the toboggan run.
it. 

So in the book "Bar Harbor's Gilded Century"  which can be purchased at Sherman's Book Store, the Eagle Lake toboggan slide was six hundred feet long, which is pretty impressive.  The toboggan slide only lasted two years.