Tuesday, May 2, 2017

BIG ROCKS

Big Rocks is a favorite area the locals go to in Bass harbor, Maine.  I have never been to the site, but when living in the area I asked an old timer there if  Big rocks actually has big rocks?  He smiled and replied, nope, not big rocks, gigantic rocks, some of the biggest boulders I have ever seen.
One country inn in that area gives its guests a map showing how to locate Big Rocks, and though i can't recall the name of the road its on, I can tell you how to get there.
The village of Bass Harbor is located along route 102 A, once at the village there is a small bridge with a small baptist church near it.  The road that leads up from 102 A past the side of the church is the road Big Rocks is located off of.  You will come to a field with a well worn path leading through it, that path leads to Big Rocks.
I found a bit more information on this site, a map and some gps info, try and see what else I can come up on.

BIG ROCKS - BASS HARBOR MAINE


Coordinates: 44.2434139°N, -68.3361281°W
Approx. Elevation: 36 feet (11 meters)
USGS Topo Map Quad: Bass Harbor
Feature Type: Summit




5 Comments:

At August 28, 2017 at 4:19 PM , Blogger David Schortmann said...

Think it might be on Big Rocks Rd?

 
At August 28, 2017 at 9:04 PM , Blogger J.R. Libby said...

It could very well be, I know you take a turn by the church right there in Bass Harbor along 102A, I always wanted to go there after hearing about the location, but never did. A dear friend of ours told us how all the local kids would go through the field and play there. I just recall her talking about the field and the path that ran up through the center of the field. I will try and ask others who live in the area and see what I can find about about the site.

 
At September 18, 2017 at 6:55 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Tried to find this the other day, took Leighton Rd and that ended at a bunch of houses then tried Big Rocks rd and that ended in some houses. Maybe I'll call the town and see what they know.

 
At September 20, 2017 at 12:51 AM , Blogger Kat Murphy said...

It's called Bass Harbor Woods road. It's where local teens smoke pot. Not very touristy.

 
At September 20, 2017 at 2:21 AM , Blogger J.R. Libby said...

Yeah, Bass Harbor Woods Road does ring a bell...I recall seeing Big Rocks listed on a map of the area, I believe a local restaurant made the map, there was also a spot marked Speed Trap near the bottom of a hill where the police would set up a radar gun.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home